Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Apple Pie


This is another dessert that I brought to our Thanksgiving celebration this year.  When I make apple pie, I usually make a streusel-topped version, but this time I decided to try something different.  I ended up going with the Double Two-Apple Pie recipe from the Flour cookbook, by Joanne Chang.  As I've said before....I'm not a pie-crust-making person.....at least not yet......maybe 2012 will be the year that I conquer my fear of pie crust.  Instead, I used the pie crusts that Trader Joe's have in their freezer section.....they absolutely tast homemade to me!

I also didn't follow the recipe's directions on making a lattice-top for the pie.   I had been seeing a beautiful leaf-topped pie all over Pinterest, and decided I wanted to try that with my little cutters I got from Williams-Sonoma.  I busted out my little leaf cookie cutter and cut out about a million leaves and placed them over the top of the apples with a little water to help hold them together.  I finished with an egg wash and a sprinkle of sugar.  Here's a shot of the pie before it went into the oven.....


DOUBLE TWO-APPLE PIE

1 box store-bought pie crust (2-pack) or your favorite recipe of Pate Brisee (you may need more than one pie crust for the leaves, depending on the cutout size)
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
2 medium Macintosh or Rome apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons sanding sugar, pearl sugar, or granulated sugar

Roll out one of the pie crusts to fit a 9-inch pie pan.  Gently press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pie pan, leaving a small lip at the edge of the pan.  Place the pie shell in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Line the pie shell with parchment paper and fill the shell with pie weights or dried beans, and blind bake for about 30 minutes, until shell is a light brown.

In a medium bowl, combine the apples, brown sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon, toss until the apples are coated evenly.  Let this sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes so that the apples soften (allows you to pack more of them into the pie).

When the pie shell is done baking, remove it from the oven, and take out the pie weights and parchment  paper.  Pile the apples into the shell, pressing them down to fit more in.

Roll out the other pie crust and using a leaf cookie cutter, start cutting out leaf shapes, as many as you can.  When you have cut all of the shapes out, start attaching them to the outer edge of the crust, dipping your finger in water as you go to help adhere them to the crust.  Continue attaching the leaf cut-outs, moving in concentric circles toward the middle of the pie.  Make sure that you leave small gaps here and there to let the steam escape.

Brush the top of the crust with the beaten egg, and then sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, or until the pie is golden brown.  The apples should be soft and easy to piece with a small knife.  Let cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before serving.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

The pie can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Enjoy!!

This post is linked to:

5 comments:

  1. Wow I love the way you presented this apple pie! Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! Thanks for linking up last week for Fun Stuff Fridays. I'd love you to link up with us again.
    http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen,
    What a beautiful pie crust, it looks like a work of art. Great pie! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so nice, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That leaf topping is gorgeous! I love that idea. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete