Tuesday, July 5, 2011

As American as Apple Pie


Here's another dessert I brought to our 4th of July party this year.  These apple hand pies were a hit....especially with the hubby and my brother-in-law.  The inspiration for these came from the same post at Our Best Bites that I used for the strawberry pies-on-a-stick that I made for the last day of school.

This time around I went with the all-American apple pie......using the apple pie filling recipe on Our Best Bites.  Since these pies are small and don't take long to finish baking, their recipe calls for grating the apple so that it gets baked in the short amount of time that it takes the crust to bake.  I also used the simple glaze recipe that they included.....to be put on the pies after you have taken them out of the oven.  I used a small squeeze bottle to drizzle the glaze over the hand pies......pretty isn't it?  Although I do have to admit that it made them look more like star-shaped Danishes than star-shaped pies.....but who cares when they're delicious?!

I was planning on making a second batch of them with a peach pie filling.....but I got distracted by the Oreo dessert in the previous post.  Oh well......I'll save that for another summer party.

Check out Our Best Bites for the recipes.....and Enjoy!

This post is linked to:

6 comments:

  1. Those hand held pies look wonderful! I was thinking that they looked like danishes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. Apple and stars are perfect for the 4th and anytime. You're right they would be good in peach too.
    I'd like to invite you to link your desserts in my Monday, Mmmm ... Dessert party each week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! Apple is one of my favorite flavors so I know they have to taste delicious. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. These Apple Star Pies are just adorable Kristen. They look really good, wish I had one. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just wanted to thank you for visiting Cast Party Wednesday and I hope you join me again tomorrow and share more of your great recipes!
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirsten, I'm so glad you did link up to my party. Welcome! I look forward to your future recipes. :-)

    ReplyDelete