Monday, July 11, 2011

Peach Pie.....Must be Summer!


There's something about a freshly baked peach pie that just screams summer to me.....probably because the only time I make them is in the middle of summer, when the peaches are just perfect!  Peaches are one of my favorite fruits (although strawberries will always be king in my book), and I've been making this peach pie for about 10 years now.  I got the recipe off of the Food Network site way back then, and I hate to say that I don't remember which show this was from.  I've even gone back to their site to try to find it, but the recipe is no longer up there.  So my apologies to the mystery chef.....but do know that this pie has gotten made every year to rave reviews!

I always try to find the sweetest peaches I can find, and I usually end up with a combination of white and yellow peaches.  This time around, the yellow peaches just looked so much better, that I went with all yellow.  I did have a little problem with the filling being a little runny when the pie was served......maybe had I chilled the pie a bit before I served it, that would have firmed up a bit more (I served it room temperature).  I had noticed that the peaches were super juicy......so maybe I could have also added a bit more flour to the filling as well.  I definitely am not an expert at pies......although one day I'd like to try to learn the science behind them!  I also have a confession to make......I actually used a Pillsbury piecrust this time, and no one was the wiser!!  In fact, every time I've made the switch, no one seems to notice!  But shhhhh.....it's our little secret!


PEACH PIE
Adapted from the Food Network


6 cups sliced peaches, peeled and pitted (about 6 medium peaches) 
½ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons sweet butter cut into small pieces
In a small bowl combine the sliced peaches, with sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.  Toss peaches making certain to thoroughly coat the peaches.  Set pie filling aside.
Pie Crust:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
¾ cup shortening
6 tablespoons ice water (some brand of flour may require more water)
Egg wash (beaten egg mixed with a small amount of water)
In a bowl, mix together flour, salt and sugar.  Add in shortening using a pastry blender or a fork until flour forms small chunks.  Sprinkle cold water into the mixture 1 tablespoon at a time.  Toss mixture lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball.  Divide dough into 2 equal parts and form ball.  Wrap each dough ball in clear cellophane wrap.  Allow dough to rest in refrigerator about 20 minutes.  
Lightly flour rolling surface and rolling pin.  Take 1 dough ball and roll crust into a circle.  Trim 1-inch larger than upside-down pie pan.  Unfold each quarter and press into pie pan.  Trim edge even with pie pan.  Crust is now ready for pie filling.  
Once filling is in crust, scatter butter pieces on top of filling.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Roll out the second dough ball into a circle.  This dough is the top crust.  Using another pie plate as a guide, cut the dough as a disk.  The disk should extent slightly beyond the diameter of the rim of the pie pan.  Moisten the edges of the pie shell that contains the peach filling with the beaten egg wash.  For the top crust you can either :

1 - Cut the top crust into wedges.  Position the wedges slightly overlapping the top and bottom of the crust together.  
2 - Using a small cookie cutter, cut out a few shapes in the top crust, then lay the top crust over the pie.
Cut off any excess dough.  Brush the pastry with the egg wash.  Sprinkle with sugar, either granulated or sanding.
Bake for approximately 40 to 50 minutes until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling.

Enjoy!

This post is linked to:

6 comments:

  1. Yes, peaches and peach pie definitely mean summer to me too. They are so good. Thank you for linking your tried and true recipe at Monday, Mmm ... Dessert. Looking forward to more delicious recipes from you, Kirsten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good....looks beautiful.
    My post is about pies, too. Even a peach one. :))
    xo bj

    oops, not sure if you know..your word verification is on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so wonderful! I love the top of your pie.....perfect:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right Kristen, peach pie says summer here and your recipe looks great. Peach Pie is one of our favorites. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love peaches and this pie looks delicious! Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete