Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TWD : White Loaves


Welcome to the first round of baking for the new Tuesdays with Dorie baking group!  We're baking our way through Baking with Julia: Savor the Joys of Baking with America's Best Bakers.  Julia Child and Dorie Greenspan?  You can't go wrong!  

First up, we're baking the White Loaves recipe.  I'm not a big bread baker, although after flipping through Baking with Julia, it looks like I will be by the time we're done!  This one was a pretty straightforward recipe, as far as bread goes.  I only ran into one, slightly large-ish problem.  Midway through using my standing mixer to knead the dough, my 13+ year old standing mixer decided to die on me.  Such a sad day......we'd been through so many recipes together!  Sooooo.......I finished kneading the bread by hand....and oh boy, was that an arm workout!!  I think that because I was kneading by hand, I wasn't able to incorporate the butter into the dough as well as the mixer would have.....but it was still delicious!  The hubby went to town with this bread!  And let me tell you how delicious it was toasted with some jam.....yummy!  I noticed that there were several people planning on doing a cinnamon sugar swirl in the bread, and I wish I had tried that......I'm sure it was delicious!

To see the other baker's results, check out Tuesdays with Dorie, and for the recipe check out co-host Julie's blog over at Someone's in the Kitchen.......Enjoy!


This post is linked to:
Crazy Sweet Tuesday - Link Party - Tuesday Talent Show - Tea Party Tuesday - T' Time - Tasty Tuesday - Link It Up Wednesday - Mrs. Fox's Sweet Party - These Chicks Cooked - Cast Party Wednesday - Full Plate Thursday - It's a Keeper Thursday - Show Off Your Stuff - Friday Favorites - Feature Friday Free-for-all - Anything Goes Linky - Fusion Fridays - Friday Food - Sweet Indulgences Sunday

7 comments:

  1. Yum! So sorry about your mixer. Now you need to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bread looks absolutely delicious!

    I agree, retail therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - I have never made bread but this might change my mind! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous looking toast, good job on the bread. Such a bummer about the mixer though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photo. Poor mixer. At least it went down in glory...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristen,
    I just love to bake bread, it always smells so good baking in the oven. Hope you have a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is no better smell than bread baking in the oven! Once you get hooked on making your own bread, store bought will seem blah. Glad your first experience was a good one!

    ReplyDelete