Sunday, May 29, 2011

Good Old Fashioned Fun

Are you ever in the mood for some good old fashioned fun?  Or in my case, some good old fashioned sweets?

When I woke up this morning, I had a serious need to bake something.  Since we had friends coming up to visit, it had to be something that was pretty quick to put together.  Cookies...oh yeah!

The hubby's favorite cookies are Oatmeal Raisin, but in all honesty, I hate raisins!  Never have like them.....is that weird?  I know almost everyone loves, or at least likes them......but me.....no way!  So instead of Oatmeal Raisin, I usually end up making Oatmeal Cranberry.......so good!

This time out, I decided to try out Joanne Chang's recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from her cookbook Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe.  Like usual, I substituted the raisins for dried cranberries.....and with the freshly grated nutmeg that the recipe called for these cookies are definitely oatmeal cookies that are kicked up a notch!  The recipe calls for the dough to rest in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours for best results, so in the meantime, we took the boys to the creek to throw rocks and catch tadpoles.  See what I mean about good old fashioned fun??

For the recipe, check out David Lebovitz's blog....but careful, you'll get sucked into all the yumminess that is in there.  Also, check out Joanne Chang's book Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Those sound delicious... I am a raisin hater too. What creek did you go to? I have been avoiding a promise to capture some tadpoles for about 5 years now, and I am finally starting to get a little guilty feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yeah for raisin haters!! We were at Placerita Canyon......the creek is pretty small now, but there were tons of tadpoles everywhere!! We were over by the little wooden bridge.....tons of them!! I loved it....but my city dweller of a husband was completely grossed out by it!

    ReplyDelete