Monday, June 27, 2011

Crack Pie

As soon as I heard about the Crack Pie that is served at Momofuku Milk Bar in NYC, I was dying to get my hands on it to try.  I kept hearing it mentioned and how amazing it was, but alas....we're obviously nowhere near NYC (seeing that we're in CA).  Having one shipped from Milk Bar would run about $45 plus shipping!  A little pricey for one pie for me :)

So imagine how happy I was when I opened my Bon Appetit this month, and there is an article about Milk Bar and a recipe for Crack Pie!  Yippee!!  I mean seriously.......aren't you just more than a little curious what it would taste like?  If they're ballsy enough to call it Crack Pie.....it better be good!

First you bake a giant oatmeal cookie......and try hard not to eat it.  Once it cools, you'll crumble that up to make the crust of the pie.  Then you're going to fill it up with all sort of yummy, gooey goodness, including the secret ingredient in most Milk Bar desserts.....nonfat milk powder.

Bake this till yummy and golden........I actually left mine in about 5 minutes longer than I would have liked.  My fault for trying to bake this while trying to get my 2 year old down for a nap.  Oh well.....despite the overbaking, the house was smelling yummy and sugary!

Then comes the hardest part......waiting!! You need to let this bad boy cool for about 2 hours, and then stick it in the fridge to completely chill.  The recipe calls for you to let it chill overnight.....but come on!!  There was no way I could leave it alone that long.  So, after about 3 hours in the fridge, out it came.  It had set up enough by then to cut.......but I'm guessing letting it sit overnight would give the flavors a chance to meld together even more.

And the final opinion on Crack Pie?  Totally worth the hype!  I loved it, the hubby loved it, and my sister loved it!  It is a winner!  The filling turns into a kind of caramel-y/butterscotch-y gooey yumminess with that cookie crust......oh man.......sugary goodness at its best!  I can't wait to try a piece today to see if letting it sit overnight can possibly improve it at all.  Not the most knock-your-socks-off pie to photograph though........but seriously, overlook the blah photos and taste this one!

I can't wait to try some of the other desserts from Milk Bar in the article......and they've got a cookbook coming out in the Fall......yeah!!  Go to Epicurious for the recipe....and Enjoy!!


Update:  Just had a piece a day after making it......even better!!  I guess that's why the recipe calls for it to sit in the fridge overnight.  Wow.......this is good stuff!!

This post is linked to:

14 comments:

  1. Ummmm that sounds just spectacular! And the name makes me crack up (no pun intended hahaha). Visiting from cast party...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must email this to myself, it looks divine. Nice blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good...but I have a feeling I better stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the name of the pie, definitely will be trying it. Please feel free to check out the recipes on my site too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How delicious looking. It is always great to happen upon a recipe we've been wanting :) Thanks for sharing your recipe!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really looking forward to making this pie, I can't wait to taste it. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this but it looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohh, I have heard about this recipe before. Sounds like one ultimate pie. Thanks for linking it up to Sweets for a Saturday. It made the Top 5!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am absolutely in love with crack pie (and there is seriously no more appropriate name for a pie than this one, you simply can't stop eating it). Ever since I heard the Milkbar cookbook was in the works I've been eagerly waiting for the fall but now I think I might just make some crack pie before it comes out...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so intrigued by this pie and I even had ALL the ingredients on hand (including 4 egg yolks leftover from making my white 4th of July Flag Cake), so I knew it was meant to be! I made it last night and am just dying to have lunch so I can try a piece after! Ha

    Thanks!
    Marissa
    Noraisinsonmyparade.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this recipe too and have been dying to try it. Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw Momofuku featured on Kid In A Candy store on Food Network, and they were talking about this pie. It sounded sooo good, and I was going to make up my own crack pie from what the people were explaining on the show. Then I saw your post, how ironic. Thanks for sharing the recipe I cant wait to try it. Everything else they make sounds soooo good too.

    Wendi Hamel

    ReplyDelete