Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pies on a Stick


Does everything taste better when it's served on a stick?  It sure doesn't hurt.....but I do know that it sure does make things cuter!

Today is my oldest's last day of Pre-K.  As a little Thank You to his teachers I thought these little strawberries pies on a stick from Our Best Bites would be so cute!  But since we're getting to leave for vacation I did take a couple of shortcuts to make these a lot faster.

1 - I used store-bought pie crust.  Especially with something small like this, no one is going to be able to tell if you use store-bought vs. homemade.  

2 - I used a strawberry pie filling that I bought at our local baking supply store.  It had real strawberries in it, and was very tasty....and saved me the step of making it myself!  

You could really use any fruit filling that floats your boat......strawberry just really sounded good to me.  In fact they almost tasted like strawberry Pop Tarts....and there's nothing wrong with that!  Just make sure that whatever filling you use, you don't put in too much filling, or it will seep out the sides when you try to put the top layer of crust on.  The amount of filling you'll need will depend on the size of the cookie cutters you use, but just be aware that the bigger the size of your pie, the harder it will be to keep the pie on the stick when it's picked up.  I'd say that if your cookie cutter is bigger than 3 inches (that's why my heart was), then you should do the hand pies (which are also very cute!).  I think for 4th of July I'm going to do some star-shaped hand pies (maybe with blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries).

When these come out of the oven, make sure that you give them a few minutes to rest....the dough will still be very soft and tender and the stick will pop right out if you attempt to pick them up right away.  I learned that lesson the hard way....but got a yummy little snack out of it.....oops!

Check out Our Best Bites for the recipe, as well as ideas on how to make hand pies or pies-in-a-jar......and Enjoy!!

This post is linked to:
These Chicks Cooked
This Week's Cravings

2 comments:

  1. They are adorable. Love this simple idea...and a stick always makes things more special for sure. I found this recipe at This Week's Cravings!

    ReplyDelete