Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies?


It was our friend Collin's birthday this weekend, and he requested chocolate chip cookies.  Simple enough right?  Maybe for some people,  but for me it posed a dilemma........which of the million chocolate chip cookie recipes out there to use?  I really need to get around to doing a chocolate chip cookie taste test so that I can decide once and for all what my favorite cookie is!!  My favorite up to this point has been the recipe from the guys at Baked.......but this time around I decided to make the Jacques Torres (master of all things chocolate) recipe that was published in the NY Times.  You know this recipe.....it totally made it's way through the blogosphere a couple of years back....with tons of people claiming it to be the best chocolate chip cookie ever!  Ok then.....time to give it a try!

Before you start this recipe, you'll need to know that:
1 - The recipe does not use any all-purpose flour.  Instead it uses a combination of cake flour and bread flour.
2 - Once you get the dough together you're going to have to leave it alone in the refrigerator for 24 hours.  Seriously, don't touch it.....something magical happens to it when it sits.....you'll be glad you did!

So......I know you're wondering.....is it really the best chocolate chip cookie ever?  I really think I'm going to have to do a side-by-side taste test to see which one I like the best (hmmm....maybe this fall), but it definitely ranks up there.  The hubby really really liked these....and he's not much of a chocolate chip guy.  They have the crisp edges and chewy centers that you're looking for.....and you can alter the type of chocolate to suite your taste (I used a combination of semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolate).  I had to give them all away to stop eating them.  So I'd have to say, they're pretty darn good!

Check out the NY Times for the recipe.......and Enjoy!!


This post is linked to:

5 comments:

  1. I did try this recipe and I love it! Cute photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this recipe, but wasn't sure whether it would live up to the hype. Thank you for breaking down what to expect! Now I think I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,
    How does one know the very best Chocolate Chip Cookie? This is a great recipe and I love you photo. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    See you soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the use of Lego! We added a new Ningago to our collection this weekend...I would rather have your cookies though. They look delicious! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you will be on a delicious mission to find your family's favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. :-) Thank you for linking back to Joy of Desserts.

    ReplyDelete