Sunday, August 14, 2011

Daring Cooks: Appam and Curry


I decided to join up with Daring Cooks (and Daring Bakers) to keep challenging myself with things in the kitchen that I wouldn't normally try making.  This month was my first Daring Cooks challenge.  

Mary, who writes the delicious blog, Mary Mary Culinary was our August Daring Cooks’ host. Mary chose to show us how delicious South Indian cuisine is! She challenged us to make Appam and another South Indian/Sri Lankan dish to go with the warm flat bread.

Appams are kind of like an Asian style crepe that is made out of a rice/yeast/coconut milk batter.  The batter needs to sit for about 8-12 hours, so you'll need to plan ahead on this one.  Nothing to tricky about it, except for the time.  I decided to make with these some Shrimp with Coconut Milk....and boy and I glad I tried that recipe!  

I had to get some ingredients that I didn't have on hand....fresh curry leaves, green chiles, whole fenugreek seeds, and whole black mustard seeds.  A couple of minutes into starting the dish the hubby walked in and said "that smells delicious!".  Not too spicy, which I was worried about (because I'm a wuss in that department), but the base of the sauce made for a super flavorful dish that tasted absolutely authentic!  It definitely wasn't too hard to throw together and together with the appams (which were great at sopping up the yummy sauce of the shrimp), it was a delicious dinner that I will be trying again!  

Check out Daring Cooks for the recipe, and thanks to Mary for choosing this......Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment