Sunday, August 21, 2011

Plum Crumb Cake


Try to say that 5 times really fast.....Plum Crumb Cake....Plum Crumb Cake....nope....I can't do it!

In the last couple of weeks we have been getting beautiful red plums, green plums, and pluots in our weekly CSA box.  They are great to snack on, but the boys haven't discovered how yummy they are yet....so there was no way I was going to get through them all.

I found a recipe for an Apricot Crumb Cake from Nick Maglieri's book, How to Bake (a great all-around baking book!), which had a variation for making a Plum Crumb Cake.  The recipe sounded a lot like some of the Pflaumenkuchens we used to have at our house when I was growing up.  My mom is from Berlin, and growing up we always had a lot of German family friends....some of whom were great bakers.  Pflaumenkuchen seemed to be a common thing for them to bring over.....and I never appreciated how yummy it is when I was growing up (it always seemed like a grown-up dessert to me).  In fact, I never really liked any fruit-y desserts growing up....was much more of a chocolate kid.

Now, I'm still a chocolate person.....but I appreciate a good fruit dessert too!  This cake calls for about 12 plums (I used a few less because my plums were pretty large), cut in half.  Just place the plums, cut side up, on top of the cake batter.....sprinkle with the crumb topping....and bake.  The plums get soft and juicy, and turn a beautiful ruby color.  This would be a perfect afternoon dessert with coffee, although we had it for an evening dessert with ice cream.....no complaints here!

Check out Nick Maglieri for the recipe......and Enjoy!!

This post is linked to:

11 comments:

  1. I have not baked with plums before but I should while I can still get them, in the stores. I bet my husband would love this.

    I invite you to link this Bake with Bizzy.

    bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2011/08/bake-with-bizzy_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can say YUMMY 5 times! ;-) This sounds like a sweet slice of heaven to me. I do love fruit desserts. I've had the pleasure of eating many German recipes too, both sweet and savory. Thank you for sharing this great dessert at Joy of Desserts, Kirsten. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know this looks so awesome…So fun with the plums!! I want some RIGHT NOW and would be perfect for a Tea Party!! You are invited to link this up at Tea Party Tuesday if you want! Thanks again and yum yum! http://sweetology101.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-party-tuesday-special-tea-party.html

    here from Joy of desserts BTW!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this made my mouth water...yum, plums!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't baked with plums either but I've seen a lot of great recipes lately that use them. This one of them. It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and inspiring on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love plums, but have never baked with them. This cake looks terrific. Come over and visit us today. We have a wonderful chicken and dumpling recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty cake. Thanks for sharing at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back and join me next week for another awesome party full of fansastic recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pflaumenkuchens ... gotta love that name! I've been looking for more ideas on how to use plums in baking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristen,
    Your Plum Crumb Cake looks so moist and delicious. I just love plums. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Kristen!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday. Hope you enjoy your Red Plate and have a wonderful week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty cake and looks delicious. I love those Italian prune plums...this cake I have to make for sure. I still have a basket almost full, because the rest I made plum jam you can see on my blog.
    Love your Blog, I'm now a follower. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    erica-sweetonyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete